Mountain Life Tour Getaway Package
GOOD TIMES AND HARD TIMES
Mountain Life Guided Tour
Family Life and Culture in western Franklin County Virginia during the height of moonshine era.
Inherited from their ancestors, families had a fierce streak of self-reliance. They farmed and raised children without “government help’. Pigs, sheep, beef, cows, chickens and gardens of vegetable and grains, supplemented by hunting, provided all their food.
Like women everywhere, they craved art – - just the medium was different. Women of this area created their own art; they took great pride in baking the lightest cakes–even when using cast iron pans; sewing intricate quilt pieces; molding butter with pretty designs; putting up glass jars of fruit in deep, rich colors.
Available April thru October Thursday, Friday and Saturday (other months weather permitting). Tour is available for 2 to 4 guests at a time.
RESERVATIONS REQUIRED – PACKAGE MUST BE PREPAID
Tour is approximately 3 hours – 60 miles round trip
A Mountain Life Guided Tour begins in Rocky Mount, Virginia and continues to Blue Ridge Institute and Museum in Ferrum, then on to Endicott and returns back to Ferrum. Driving along the way you will see:
- St James Church, established in 1896
- Long Branch Primitive Baptist Church constituted in 1824
- Hear Stories of families living in the area 1920-1950′s and of Deputy Sheriffs working area in 1920-1930′s.
- See the hills and hollows and ride the roads where moonshine was made and hauled
- Only Claiborne House guests have an extended tour sharing some special sights of interest
- Visit the Franklin County Historical Society where “Old Times are Not Forgotten” and/or The Blue Ridge Institute (and see the last family moonshine still in operation by the Bondurant Boys)
“Rumor has it that 90% of this county was built on moonshine money.”
Franklin County Virginia is known as “The Moonshine Capital of the World” as described in Matt Bondurant’s book “The Wettest County” and portrayed in the movie “Lawless.”
Getaway Package Includes*:
- One Night stay for two (your choice of any room either Thursday, Friday or Saturday)
- Sparkling Cider for Two at check-in
- Fresh Fragrant Flowers in your room upon arrival
- 3 Hour Guided Mountain Life Tour (No strenuous walking involved)
- Inn-credible Breakfast in the Morning
*Price is $245 which includes all taxes. Add on an additional night at regular room rate to make it a two-night getaway package! This package can be purchased by calling your innkeeper at 540-483-4616. Package must be paid at time reservation is made. Not valid with other discounts or specials. Subject to availability.