WHAT IS THERE TO DO WHEN I VISIT?
4 night/5 day itinerary suggestion. Start each day with an inn-credible Blue Ridge breakfast at the Claiborne House including fresh fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, French toast topped with red ripe juicy strawberries and sausage or maybe biscuits and gravy.
- Day 1 Check in, wander our beautiful grounds or sit by the pond, relax on the porch with a iced cold tea or soda. Dine at Two by Two BBQ restaurant for some pork BBQ just two blocks away or walk to Hema’s Italian one block away.
- Day 2 Wine Tasting at Mountain Wineries – we recommend Chateau Morrisette Winery and Villa Appalaccia for magnificent views from The Blue Ridge Parkway and fantastic food. Chateau Morrisette is located 1 hours’ drive from us up on the BRP at Mile Post 171 and Villa Appalaccia just one mile from that at MP 170!
- Day 3 Prepare your heart strings as you visit National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, placed in Bedford as they lost more men per capita than any other place in the USA. Bedford Boys was the book written about this brave community; the movie Saving Private Ryan made after these boys. Enjoy dinner in an old train depot the Olde Liberty Station for the best hot pastrami and award winning cheesecake. Or stop at Homestead Creamery on the way home in Burnt Chimney for fresh home churned ice cream (no additives) you can see the dairy cows out back.
- Day 4 Visit downtown Roanoke for our funky art museum, transportation museum, O. Winston Link museum, and some fantastic restaurants, many feature live music in the evenings. Don’t forget your camera and go to the famous Texas Tavern. Park and walk to all of these places. Parking is free after 5pm in certain lots. Walk the famous Farmers Market, take in a live show at Mill Mountain Theater and end your evening at Mill Mountain Coffee.
- Day 5 Check out, Antique shopping awaits you! Our local Blue Ridge Antique Center is just 3 miles North of the B&B. Or wander to the three local antique stores around town before check out time.
~LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BAD COFFEE~
Please see our sites of interest page for more information on places to visit, here’s a sampling:
MAKE MUSICAL MEMORIES HEADING EAST ON THE CROOKED ROAD - CLICK HERE FOR A RECOMMENDED ITINERARY!
*We try to keep upcoming events listed on our blog and highlight annual events like Wine Festivals and Antique Farm Days. (Hours of operation are not controlled by the innkeeper, so double check before firming up your plans!) Learn more about the music and culture in these mountains.
We recommend you visit our blog COFFEE TALK for current events and happenings during your visit (like concerts, music festivals, winemakers dinners, and more). Plus there are some really groovy articles with even more photos on the area!