Places to Eat
WALK TO RESTAURANTS
We have a handful of restaurants within walking distance of the inn
RESTAURANT LIST – ROCKY MOUNT
Disclaimer – this is a small town so hours can change at owner’s whim, we attempt to keep this list as accurate as possible. Beer and wine licenses are the same, small town.
Recommended dining within walking distance from The Claiborne House:
- El Rio Mexican Grill – on our corner. Great Fajitas and recommended Carnitas Tacos. Guacamole made table-side (just ask for this!) Open 7 days. Full bar with drink specials. 540-483-1322
- Hema’s Italian – walk to this place. Italian restaurant behind us (other side of cemetery). No Alcohol. Open every day for lunch/dinner. 115 Franklin St, Rocky Mount 540-483-2713
- The Hub Diner – 245 North Main St, Rocky Mount 24151
- Bootleggers Cafe – across from the Harvester in the old Coca Cola plant 467 Franklin Street Rocky Mount 24151 540-483-2777 Call ahead for seating (may have special menus on concert nights)
- Pizza Hut/Wing Street – Just down the hill on Tanyard (Eagle Plaza) 380 Tanyard Rd 540-489-4444
- Hardy’s Burgers – Just down the hill on Tanyard (near Movie Theater) 480 Tanyard Rd 540-483-2975
- Los Tres Amigos – Just down the hill behind Pizza Hut –430 Tanyard Rd (Full bar) 540-489-7940
- Frank’s Pizza and Subs – Just down the hill– 390 Tanyard Rd, Rocky Mount (Beer & Wine) 540-483-7464
Drive a couple miles:
- El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant – 2 mile drive. The “Burrito Rodeo” with a side of guacamole is our kryptonite (similar a San Diego ‘Bertos carne asada burrito). On North Main Street across from bowling alley. Full Bar. This side of Comfort Inn and KFC. Sit outside or in. 540-483-0288
- Applebee’s Bar and Grill – one and half mile drive. Burgers, chicken, ribs, salads, desserts. Full bar. Near Wendy’s. Go down Tanyard past High School, past McDonald’s, past Bojangles. Sheetz is on the left; Applebee’s is on the RIGHT side. Open 7 days 400 Old Franklin Turnpike, Rocky Mount 540-489-7772
Ippy’s Restaurant – 2 mile drive. Steak, seafood, ribs, full bar. Family owned and operated. Near Comfort Inn on North Main street. Monday – Saturday til 10 PM (closed on Sundays). Full bar. 1760 N Main ST, Rocky Mount 540-489-5600 (Onion ring girl to the right was taken at Ippys – yeah that’s the Assistant Innkeeper R)
- KFC Buffet – 2 mile drive. Daily Buffet until 8pm. Some good southern treats on the boo-fay, we recommend this KFC. N Main St just past Member One Credit Union/Across from Comfort Inn 540-483-1938
- Peking Chinese and Grill – one mile drive, behind Walgreens on the right. 45 Market Pl Dr, Rocky Mount 540-483-3399
- Dairy Queen – Live bluegrass every Thursday morning 9am Sept thru May! Order biscuits and gravy special, it is awesome! 995 Franklin Street, Rocky Mount, Virginia 540- 483-7987
- Cookout – One mile drive, awesome variety of shakes! Go down Tanyard past High School, one block past McDonald’s. Next door to Sheetz. 866- 547-0011
- Quiznos Subs – one mile drive Go down Tanyard past High School, past McDonald’s, across street from Bojangles in strip mall. 540-489-8081
- Papa John’s Pizza – next door to Quiznos. 45 Market Place Ste. 107 Rocky Mount 540- 489-7272
- (540) 489-7272
- McDonalds – ¾ mile drive. Go down Tanyard past High School, McDonald’s is on the right. This is locally owned and operated, and the best McDonald’s you will visit. 970 Tanyard Rd, Rocky Mount 540-483-0711
- Bojangles Fried Chicken and Biscuits – one mile drive. Go down Tanyard past High School, one block past McDonald’s 540-483-7697
- Taco Bell – behind Bojangles near Market Place Ste, Rocky Mount 540- 484-0266
PICNIC ON THE PORCH
We recommend our Picnic on the Porch Package just $29 for concert goers so you can kick back and relax before a show instead of waiting in line for dinner. BYO and enjoy it on the porch (or wherever you wish at The Claiborne House) and then walk to the venue, if you want to. Learn more about this package here (page down to the Porch Package).
Click here to learn more (page down to the Picnic on the Porch Package)
RESTAURANTS NEAR THE LAKE AND IN ROANOKE:
If you are visiting Black Dog Salvage 902 13th St SW, Roanoke, VA 24016 (540) 343-6200: we recommend downtown Roanoke on the Market Square and nearby it for – and especially Jack Brown’s Burger and Beer Joint where you can see the unique bar made from a Salvage Dawgs episode (and a burger is named after a notorious Franklin County moonshiner). Use any of the downtown parking lots, free after 5pm.
- The Landing – 773 Ashmeade Rd, Moneta at Bernard’s Landing, Closed Monday. Full service fine dining with lake views. Pricey. Call for reservations 540-721-3028 45 minute drive
- Bridgewater Plaza at Smith Mountain Lake with WATER VIEWS – Variety of Restaurants/bars/shops/boat rentals near the water. Take Route 122/Booker T Washington Highway for 17 miles – 16420 Booker T Washington Hwy Moneta, VA 24121-5865 540-721-1203 20 minute drive
- Jonathan’s Restaurant jonathansatsml.com 50 1st Watch Dr, Moneta, VA (540) 719-1212 Full bar and great food. This is right off route 122/Booker T Washington Highway.
- Blackwater Cafe – 4730 Scruggs Road, Moneta Va 24121 for reservations 540-721-4333 Fabulous dining experience, not waterfront.
- Jakes Place – 1041 Harbour Inn Lane, Moneta, VA 24121 (540) 297-4732 Waterfront dining, american food, BBQ and pizza.
DOWNTOWN ROANOKE & AREA – recommended for great food and fun. 20-25 minute drive (free parking after 5PM in city lots). Music, Farmer’s Market, Museums, and plenty of great restaurants. A few samples:
- Corned Beef and Co Bar and Grill www.cornedbeefandco.com – 07 S Jefferson St, Roanoke, VA 24011 (540) 342-3354
- Texas Tavern www.texastavern-inc.com – 114 Church Ave SW Roanoke, VA 24011(540) 342-4825 (Recommended – Famous and highly photographed)
- LUCKY – www.eatatlucky.com/ 18 Kirk Ave SW Roanoke, VA (540) 982.1249 (Gastropub fresh local)
- Fortunato – www.fortunatoroanoke.com/104 Kirk Ave SW Roanoke, VA (540-400-7315) Italian like no-other
- Metro! www.metroroanoke.com – 14 Campbell Ave SE Roanoke, VA (540) 345-6645
- Blue 5 Restaurant www.blue5restaurant.com/ 312 2nd Street SW, Roanoke, VA – (540) 904-5338
- Awful Arthur’s Seafood Co Live Music 108 Campbell Avenue SE, Roanoke, VA -(540) 344-2997
- 202 Market www.202market.net/wordpress/ 202 Market Street SE, Roanoke, VA – (540) 343-6644
- The Quarter www.thequarterrestaurant.com Cajun 19 Salem Ave. Roanoke, VA 24011 (540) 342-2990
- Blues BBQ Co www.bluesbbqco.com/ 107 Market Street SW, Roanoke, VA – (540) 344-5683
- Alexander’s – www.alexandersva.com/105 South Jefferson St Roanoke, VA (540) 982-6983
- River and Rail, www.riverandrailrestaurant.com Southern Eclectic Fresh Cuisine. 2201 Crystal Spring Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24014 (1 block from Carillion Hospital in an old pharmacy) (540) 400-6830
- Local Roots, www.localrootsrestaurant.com dedicated to bringing farm fresh food to the table grown in Virginia. In Grandin Village. 1314 Grandin Rd, Roanoke, VA 24015 (540) 206-2610
- A Taste of the Blue Ridge – Roanoker Magazine’s online dining guide here
If you are looking for a place to eat while you are out and about...Approx 50 min drive to each of the following:
- Bedford – The Old Liberty Station in an old train depot. www.oldelibertystation.com/ Great burgers, ribs, salads, homemade cheesecake. – 515 Bedford Ave, Bedford VA 540.587.9377 Look near the train tracks. Closed Sunday.
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – The Pine Tavern – www.thepinetavern.com/content/ country cookin’ served family style. 611 Floyd Ave North, Floyd VA. Thurs Fri Sat 430-9PM, Sun 11-8PM. 540.745.4482
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – Chateau Morrisette Winery and fine food – www.thedogs.com/ 287 Winery Rd SW, Floyd VA Special events – see website. Lunch til 3pm. Dinner Fri/Sat til 9pm. Reservations recommended. 540.593.2865
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – Oddfella’s Cantina – www.oddfellascantina.com/ Eclectic mix of food made from scratch – diverse includes vegetarian fare. 110A North Locust, Floyd VA Live Music in the evenings. Dinner 5 – 9PM Thurs – Sun. Sunday Brunch 10am – 3PM. 540.745.3463 Dogtown Roadhouse – http://www.dogtownroadhouse.com/woodfired pizza, handcrafted beer and music 302 S Locust St, Floyd, VA Thurs-Sun 24091 540- 745-6836.
Trivia – Moneta is where they filmed the Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray classic “What About Bob” the funniest movie ever.
Our definition of Southern Diner: Where everything is fried including the ice water. Where you could strike a match to the dishwater and the place would go up in flames. Where there are three booths and a liars table.