Places to Eat
WALK TO RESTAURANTS
We have a handful of restaurants within walking distance of the inn or drive thru
RESTAURANT LIST – ROCKY MOUNT
Disclaimer – this is a small southern town so hours can change at owner’s whim, we attempt to keep this list as accurate as possible. Beer and wine licenses are the same in this small town.
Casual dining in town - walk to these from The Claiborne House:
- Hema’s Italian – walk to this place. Small hole-in-the-wall, Italian restaurant directly behind us on eblock. From our parking area you can cut through the cemetery on the South end, or walk down High street, turn right and go one block. Good Stromboli. No Alcohol. Open every day for lunch and dinner til 10pm, Sundays til 9pm. 115 Franklin St, Rocky Mount 540-483-2713
- A Little Taste of Home (Angle Dining Room) is right next door. 215 Claiborne Ave, Rocky Mount VA. Home Cookin’/Country cookin’. A meat and two sides. No Alcohol. THURS/FRI noon – 8pm and SAT 2pm-6pm. 540-489-1893
- El Rio Mexican Grill – on our corner! Great Mexican food and atmosphere. Vegetarian dishes. ABC License on the way. 65 N Main St, Rocky Mount 540-483-1322
- The Hub Diner – southern diner food, cash only, open all days except Sunday. No Alcohol. Just behind us one block. Closes at 8PM most days. 540-483-9303
Walk to – 2 blocks back up our hill:
- Pizza Hut/Wing Street – Just down the hill on Tanyard (Eagle Plaza) 380 Tanyard Rd 540-489-4444
- Hardy’s Burgers – Just down the hill on Tanyard (near Movie Theater) 480 Tanyard Rd 540-483-2975
- Los Tres Amigos – Just down the hill behind Pizza Hut – Full Bar. 430 Tanyard Rd 540-489-7940
- Frank’s Pizza and Subs – NY Style Pizza and great steak calzone. Beer. Just down the hill– Open 7 Days. 390 Tanyard Rd, Rocky Mount 24151 540-483-7464
- Two by Two NC Lexington Style BBQ – down the hill on Tanyard (Eagle Plaza) behind Pizza Hut. Tues-Sun til 9pm. No alcohol.
Drive a couple miles:
- Cook-Out – Backyard style burgers and BBQ. This is a NC chain that has made it to Rocky Mount! Great prices, great food. 44 different milk shakes (try a peach cobbler shake). Next door to Sheetz and across from Bojangles. one mile drive. Go down Tanyard past High School, one block past McDonald’s
- El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant – 2 mile drive. On North Main Street across from bowling alley. This side of Comfort Inn and KFC. Sit outside or in. Fully Licensed bar. Great service. Open 7 days. 540-484-9065
- Applebee’s Bar and Grill – one and half mile drive. Burgers, chicken, ribs, salads, desserts. Full bar. Near Wendy’s. Go down Tanyard past High School, past McDonald’s, past Bojangles. Sheetz is on the left; Applebee’s is on the RIGHT side. Open 7 days. 400 Old Franklin Turnpike, Rocky Mount 540-489-7772
- Ippy’s Restaurant – 2 mile drive. Steak, seafood, ribs, prime rib, full bar. Between Comfort Inn and Member One Credit Union on North Main street. Monday – Saturday til 10 PM (closed on Sundays) Live Music in the bar weekends. 1760 N Main ST, Rocky Mount 540-489-5600
- KFC Buffet – 2 mile drive. Daily Buffet until 8pm. Some good southern treats on the boo-fay. N Main St just past Member One Credit Union/Across from Texaco 540-483-1938
- Gilligan’s Galley – Like a dine-in Long John Silver’s – Mostly everything fried. Open til 9pm. 17890 Virgil H Goode Highway, Rocky Mount – (This is Hwy 220 just North of town 2 miles across from Midway Chevrolet) (540) 483-3474
- Quiznos Subs – one mile drive Go down Tanyard past High School, past McDonald’s, across street from Bojangles in strip mall. 540-489-8081
- McDonalds – ¾ mile drive. Go down Tanyard past High School, McDonald’s is on the right. 970 Tanyard Rd, Rocky Mount 540-483-0711
- Bojangles Fried Chicken and Biscuits – one mile drive. Go down Tanyard past High School, one block past McDonald’s 540-483-7697
- Peking Chinese Grill – one mile, just past Bojangles behind Walgreens. Eat in or take out. 45 Marketplace Drive, Rocky Mount 540-483-3399
FINE DINING RESTAURANTS NEAR THE LAKE:
- THE LANDING (Top photo above) - 773 Ashmeade Rd, Moneta at Bernard’s Landing, Closed Monday. Full service fine dining with lake views. Call for reservations 540-721-3028 45 minute drive
- BRIDGEWATER PLAZA at Smith Mountain Lake with WATER VIEWS – Variety of Restaurants/bars/shops/boat rentals near the water. Take Route 122/Booker T Washington Highway for 17 miles – 16420 Booker T Washington Hwy Moneta, VA 24121-5865 540-721-1203 20 minute drive
- Jonathan’s Restaurant jonathansatsml.com 50 1st Watch Dr, Moneta, VA (540) 719-1212 Full bar and great food! This is right off route 122/Booker T Washington Highway.
- Blackwater Cafe www.theblackwatercafe.com 4730 Scruggs Road, Moneta, Virginia 24121 (540) 721-4333
- Moneta has a selection of restaurants as well.
DOWNTOWN ROANOKE – recommended for great food and fun. 20-25 minute drive (free parking after 5PM in city lots). Music, Farmer’s Market, Museums, and plenty of great restaurants. A few samples:
- Lucky Restaurant Tues-Sat open late. 18 Kirk Ave, Roanoke VA 24011 (540) 982-1249
- Corned Beef and Co Bar and Grill www.cornedbeefandco.com – (540) 342-3354
- Alejandros Mexican alejandrosmexicangrill.com Grill Open 7 Days (540) 400-0733
- Texas Tavern www.texastavern-inc.com – (540) 342-4825
- Tong’s Thai Real Thai Cuisine maps.google.com – (540) 344-8161
- Metro! www.metroroanoke.com – (540) 345-6645
- Local Roots Restaurant in Historic Grandin Village Roanoke (Exceptional dining) 1314 Grandin Ave, Roanoke VA (540) 206-2610
- Awful Arthur’s Seafood Co Live Music awfularthursseafood.com 108 Campbell Avenue Southeast, Roanoke, VA – (540) 344-2997
- Nawab Indian Restaurant www.nawabrestaurant.com118 Campbell Avenue Southeast, Roanoke, VA -(540) 345-5150
- Blues BBQ Co bluesbbqco.com 107 Market Street Southeast, Roanoke, VA – (540) 344-5683
- Fork in the Alley Live Music Great Eats forkinthealley.com 2123 Crystal Spring Avenue Southwest, Roanoke, VA -(540) 982-3675
- A list of downtown Roanoke restaurants with links and map, click here.
If you are looking for a place to eat while you are out and about – The Claiborne House has many other recommendations – you will love the places listed below – be prepared for the scenic drive. Approx 50 min drive to each of the following:
- Bedford – The Old Liberty Station in an old train depot. Great burgers, ribs, salads, homemade cheesecake. – 515 Bedford Ave, Bedford VA 540.587.9377 Look near the train tracks. Closed Sunday.
- Moneta (near Smith Mountain Lake) Mayberry Drive-in Theater and Diner. Original Cosmos Diner from Chesapeake VA – 50′s diner homecooking and great desserts. 1696 Whitehouse Road, Moneta VA 24151 Open daily from 630am & holidays 540.296.1480
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – The Historic Pine Tavern – country cookin’ served family style. 611 Floyd Ave North, Floyd VA. Thurs Fri Sat 430-9PM, Sun 11-8PM. 540.745.4482
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – Chateau Morrisette Winery and Fine Food – 287 Winery Rd SW, Floyd VA Special events – see website. Lunch til 3pm. Dinner Fri/Sat til 9pm. Reservations recommended. 540.593.2865
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – Blue Ridge Restaurant – 113 East Main, Floyd VA. Country Cookin’ Diner style. 6AM to 8PM, Sun 8AM to 4PM. 540.745.2147
- Floyd (Blue Ridge Parkway) – Oddfella’s Cantina – Eclectic mix of food made from scratch – diverse includes vegetarian fare. 110A North Locust, Floyd VA Live Music in the evenings. Dinner 5 – 9PM Thurs – Sun. Sunday Brunch 10am – 3PM. 540.745.3463
You can order this romantic add-on: cheese, crackers, fruit and sparkling cider and it will be in your room awaiting your arrival!
Worth the drive to Martinsville:
- Checkered Pig BBQ – Award winning BBQ (get the ribs!) in Martinsville VA (about a 40 minute drive). Hint – the sign out front says Pigs-r-us. Open from lunch til 9pm Closed Sundays. 1014 Liberty Street, Martinsville, VA 24112 276-632-1161
- Fenderz Drive-in – hand patted all beef burgers, beer-battered onion rings, hand cut potato fries, milk shakes, banana splits. 50′s diner decor, this place is fun! Open Mon-Sat 11am til 8pm Closed Sundays. 3627 Virginia Ave, Collinsville VA 24078 276-647-4555.
Trivia – Moneta is where they filmed the Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray classic “What About Bob” the funniest movie ever. No, it wasn’t New Hampshuhh!
Our definition of Southern Diner: Where everything is fried including the ice water. Where you could strike a match to the dishwater and the place would go up in flames. Where there are three booths and a liars table.